Monday, December 1, 2008

Teaching On Thin Ice



My first curve ball as a PE instructor was thrown at me. I was asked to teach a lesson on ice skates. Considering my last time on ice skates was about 10 years ago, I was quiet nervous. The first thing I needed to do was get back on the ice and get a feel of it. There is no way you can teach a lesson on something you yourself look foolish doing. After I got the feel for the ice, the second thing for me to do was learn the proper techniques for what I was about to teach, which was stopping. My friends and peers had plenty of suggestions while the internet was my biggest asset. Being that I needed to implement technology in this lesson, I was able to kill 2 birds with one stone by using a YouTube video. This not only taught myself, but was a big help to my students as well. The most important thing to remember when a challenge arises outside the norm is to remain calm. Almost always there are strategies to teach kids safely in any environment.

YouTube: How to stop on ice skates
YouTube: How to stop on ice skates - hockey stop

Skating Packet- Lab D
Skating Lesson Plan

C9 form for this lesson
Time Coding

No comments: